Thursday, June 07, 2007

On the Defense

That last post really came from a defensive place for me. I am feeling judged and unaccepted and angry and protective. I want to follow all the things I said at the end of the post, about open mindedness, reserved judging, etc. But I am having a really hard time not judging. And I am pretty sure that my judgement is coming from a place of fear. I am terrified of being a bad Mom, and I am scared of being rejected. These fears are soo big inside me that I think everyday about not having more kids because then I will finally be able to escape the fear. By not having another kid, I (and Evie) will grow out of this ultra judgy and scrutinized stage of parenting. But that is not true. There will always be the fear of judgement, the fear of rejection.

I don't know what happened to me. I used to love being in the "weird" crowd the "alternative" crowd. But now it seems to me that even within the "alternative" crowd there is the same crap. I think that most of my feelings are different now for two reasons.

First, now all this stuff doesn't just affect me, it affects Evelyn. I feel an unreal need to give her everything, friends, social acceptance, all of it.

Second, none of my friends from before have kids yet. I am all alone in this parent ocean, without any of my old friends to make me feel okay, and "normal".

So clearly, I have issues. Ha! I am laughing at this statement because it was just as true last year as it is now. Sure it has taken on some new forms, it has changed into different clothes, but all the same issues are there. Fear of rejection, fear of abandonment, fear of not being able to protect myself or my loved ones. All these issues have been present in my life since I was 7 years old. There is a strong correlation between me at 7yrs old and the status of my parents marriage,(ie. disintegration).

But the truth, the reality of my life today is that I have a lot of friends, old and new, and they are not judging me, they are not rejecting me. They are embracing me, they are learning about the new me. Their concerns, questions, inquiries are not coming from a place of meanness, they are coming from a place of love. A lot of my friends just want to know me better, because I have had this big life change. My defensiveness is coming from my lack of self confidence, not from anywhere else. As with most of these things, I suspect that now I will feel better. Now that I have figured out where these feelings were coming from, now I will be able to rest, I will be able to see my friends and relax.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No matter where it came from, there was much truth and wisdom in your rant of Wednesday.

You are an awesome Mom!

Dawn said...

Steve is right. You have got it goin' on, Sistah. You are clearly an awesome mom. I know I'm only getting to know you through the wonder of cyberspace, but I have to tell you what I love about you.

You write with so much love and grace and joy. I can only imagine that you shine with all that beauty on your daughter and you make her world glow with your love.

I don't know if you can see someone's aura through photographs or across the boundaries of the Internet, but what I always get when I come to your blog is sunshine. I just always feel like I'm in the warm glow of sunshine and joy when I come here.

Someone who emanates that, has to be a great mom.

Cara said...

So ... now we're not your friends "from before"? I know what you mean, when we had the kid and you didn't, it was different.

I know what you mean about the defensiveness, and I had to reach a point where I just don't care what other people think of my decisions. But no matter how I try I can't help but feel horror at some other parents' decisions. I'm sure those I am shocked by are equally horrified by some of the things I do as a parent. I think my distaste of some of the bizarro mothering trends has lead me to isolate myself from many mommies, just as having a child has lead me to isolate myself from non-mommies.

The husband was in awe and terror every time I breast fed Arabella the first 2 weeks -- I would make a face as she latched on and started nursing that showed how painful the experience was for me. But my nipples toughened, and she nursed well.

I considered cloth diapers, but one day, about a month before A was born I realized that between working full-time and caring for baby and trying to do my own art-work that cloth diapers were not in the stars for us.

My bad side? I let A watch way to much tv, I still haven't put her pics in any order let alone in a book, I haven't made the alphabet for her room that I keep telling myself I will do. I yell at her when I am tired of the whining and drama. I let her eat fast food more than daddy thinks she should. The house is a total mess. I worry that she isn't talking as clearly or as well as she should, even though no teacher or professional has shown any concern.

She is happy and healthy and I have settled into the alien role of mother. And really, that is all that matters.

heather@it'stwinsanity said...

Wow! I wasn't expecting to see the angry post but it inda doesn't surprise me either. It's hard NOT to feel defensive because it seems no matter what you choose these days someone else thinks you should be doing something different. I just have to say that you are so awesome Jen. You let yourself be so vulnerable and I just love it. You exude confidence and I don't think you realize that! You are such a great mom to Evie. I am so glad that you're my friend!!!

Contributors