Saturday, June 30, 2007

I get by with...

A little help from my friends. Truer words have never been written. I don't know how I would survive if I didn't have good friends and family around to support me. I have leaned on all my friends and family to some degree many many times in the last year or so. And I am sure I will lean on them again.

I just hope that I can be as available, open, and supportive to my friends and family as they have been to me. I want to be the breath of fresh air, the sigh of relief that my friends have been to me. So here is a tribute to my friends and family that have been my support system in this crazy new phase of my life.

Benjamin, holy cow, did you ever think we would be here!? I am as always, forever grateful and honored to have you as my best friend, my life partner, and the father of our most amazing daughter.

Evelyn, you are truly amazing. I think the greatest gift in life that I have received is you. I hope I can raise you to see family and friendship as the true blessing and gift that it is.

Moms and Dad, without you I wouldn't be who I am today. I thank you for that and also for supporting me. I never knew how much I needed you or wanted you around until now. Thank you!

Paul and Stan, you guys are awesome! You both taught me how to be rough and tumble and how to not take shit from people. You also taught me what it means to be a diplomat and how to get what I want without pissing anyone off. And you continue to teach me what is cool and hip.

Grandma, you are the only grandparent that I have ever really been close with. You have taught me so much about my family and what it means to live a long full life. And thank you for always cooking special food for me because I am such a picky eater. =)

Jen, you are my bestest friend ever. You have stuck by me for over 10 years! You are the sister I never had, a soul mate and a life long friend. We don't speak often but I always feel better and more balanced when I talk to you. I miss you and I can't wait for you to be state side again.

Karen, you are a new member to our family and to my friend circle. But you are wonderful! You are so thoughtful and easy to talk to and be with. You have a wonderful heart and an amazing capacity for empathy and compassion. I love that you are in my life!

Angie, what can I say, I love you, if I were gay you would be my girlfriend! You are so loving, so funny, so sassy, a great dancer. You have an amazing mind and unparalleled organizing skills. You kick ass!!!!! I still wonder why you would want me as a friend, but you keep hanging with me so I just count myself as lucky!

Despi, you are me if I were smarter and ballsier. You are extremely smart and creative, and motivated. And you're super fun and crazy. When I am with you I feel 10 times cooler just by association. And you are caring and thoughtful and wonderful!

Heather, you are the first true friend I have had since I moved to Georgia 2 years ago. You were at Evelyn's birth, and you made me feel relaxed and confident enough to birth her with almost no pain, and definitely no regrets. But you've been more than just a doula to me. You've listened to me talk about my biggest fears and my guilty feelings. And you've been my friend that I can always depend on to make me laugh and see the humor in the most difficult situations. You've been my go to person for emotional and physical support for a year and counting. I am so glad you are in my life!

And to all my other friends and family, thank you for supporting me too! I am who I am because of the friendships and family ties that I have with you. Thank you!!

2 comments:

heather@it'stwinsanity said...

You made me cry again! I feel the same way about you and I will forever be glad that our paths crossed the way they did. You are so funny and so compassionate and fun to be around. I am going to miss you a lot when Ben gets home!!!

Dawn said...

Jen, what a beautiful tribute to your friends and family. I imagine that you already are the breath of fresh air, everything your friends and family need.

You seem like such a beautiful, smart, interesting, amazing woman (taking care of your baby alone while your husband is overseas! you kick ass!).

Thanks for your beautiful writing.

Contributors