My friend Rich wrote a very touching and sweet post about his feelings for his daughter. I left him a comment in response but I want to elaborate. The gist of my comment was this. The way a daughter is treated by her father is directly related to the way said daughter will expect to be treated by her husband/life partner(s).
The window of opportunity for Fathers to influence their daughters self confidence and self worth never closes. Seriously. I am finding this out still. Even though I am grown up, married, and a mother. The way my father treats me, the words he comforts me with, the compliments he gives me, the way he treats Evelyn. All of it still shapes me, my confidence, and my sense of worth. I am really really lucky. Our relationship was not always so supportive or open. My teenage years were spent largely shutting out my dad, we did not speak or see each other. It was really hard. Really really really hard. I remember feeling crushed because my best friend got a rose from her Dad on Valentine's day. At the time I thought I would never speak to my Dad again, I thought he wouldn't walk me down the aisle for my wedding. But, by the grace of God/Allah/Goddess/etc we patched our relationship up. We both made a lot of effort to come back together. To try to begin to trust and share again. And I am so glad for that. I never knew what a difference having the support of my Dad meant to me until I had it in my life again. He loves me in a way that no other person does. That love means so much to me, especially now when I am separated from my Ben and trying to do all this on my own.
So to all you fathers of daughters, keep telling them you love them, keep comforting them, keep yourself available to them. Even if they don't seek you out all the time, just letting them know you are always there for them is HUGE. We daughters are a sensitive lot, we need lots of love and attention.
Friday, June 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Contributors
My Favorites
- The Colonel's Journal - Gramper's Blog
- Ichigo Tamago - DocRom's Blog
- Okinawa City, Okinawa (沖縄市) - BigBro's Blog
- Christianfanger
- Pro Simians
- My Best Investments
- Petroville
- Amalah
- Girl's Gone Child
- It's Twinsanity
- Mama Mid(wife) Madness
- Meconium Happens
- MetroDad: Another Funny Dad Blog
- Motherhood Uncensored
- The New Girl
- Poop and Boogies: A Funny Dad Blog
- Championable: A Heart Felt Daddy Blog
- How About Two: Daddy Blog
- Miss Britt
- Cara in Exile
- Belle of the Blog
- kickyboots
- Mama Pop
- Jezebel
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(221)
-
▼
June
(40)
- I get by with...
- Triathlete? Me?
- Her Future Is So Bright...
- A Pictorial Weekend Recap
- Gourmand - My French Nickname
- Like Mother, Like Daughter
- Evie Got Me!
- "Baby Blog" the new Mommy Blog?
- What's Up?
- A Daddy Blogger's Solution to 16yr Old Boys with B...
- Power Outage
- Happy Father's Day!
- My Wild Friday Night
- Am I a Southerner??
- 7 Things That Rock!
- One Month
- Another Video of Evie Walking by Herself
- Evie Walks Alone!!!
- No Strawberry Picking
- Busy Day
- Art and David
- 9 North
- RIP Grandpa Miller
- Ain't Life Funny Sometimes
- On the Defense
- Major Lessons: My Rant About Parent Wars
- Floaty Contraption
- The Zoo
- Art and the Ladies
- Ben
- Keeping Record
- Surfing
- What Not to Wear
- Meme
- Good Times
- Fathers and Daughters
- Classic Dame
- Face Plant
- Private
- You know you need a date with your husband when...
-
▼
June
(40)
3 comments:
Wow.
Amen to that, sister.
Beautifully, beautifully said.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Post a Comment