This blogger wrote this post in honor of being a Father to his daughter and I couldn't agree more with his thoughts on Fathers and Daughters. You might remember my post about the same subject earlier this month. Enjoy =)
Why Daddies Should Date Their Daughters
Here is the text of my guest post from Be A Good Dad. Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!
Our first date was to McDonald’s. It cost me $6.
She had pancakes with syrup and drank orange juice. I had a sausage mcmuffin and drank a small coffee.
As we ate, she would occasionally load up a fork with a bite of pancake and feed it to me across the table. She has a big heart, and you can see it in little things like that.
After we finished eating, we sat in the booth and talked. We tackled some of life’s big issues, like why the man at the next table was wearing a hat, and the types of things bunnies like to eat. And we fiddled with trivia, like why the air gets cold in winter.
Eventually, we got back in the car and headed home. But before all was said and done, I got her to commit to a second date with me.
My daughter is a great date, and I don’t think I’m too bad myself. I enjoy dating her, and my desire is that this will bear fruit years from now.
You see, there are things she needs to know about how she’s supposed to be treated. If I don’t teach her those things, some greasy sixteen year-old boy will when she’s a teenager. And I’m not having that.
I date my daughter so that she will know we have a one-on-one relationship. That I care for her as the unique individual she is. That she exists not as just one of my kids, but as my cherished daughter.
Here’s what I think she needs to know:
The source of her beauty rests inside her head, in the space between her ears, just behind those magnificent blue eyes. What makes her attractive is the sweetness and humor that pours out of her heart.
There are two parties to a conversation. I know from experience that talking isn’t a problem for her. But the person she’s with should be engaged, offering their thoughts and getting her to elaborate on things she’s said.
She should feel safe when she rides with someone. A car is a tool to get her from Point A to Point B in a safe and efficient manner. It’s not an amusement park ride. Just because it can go 120 mph doesn’t mean it should.
I could go on. But that’s a glimpse of the behaviors I’m modeling to my daughter on our dates. These are the things she should expect, years from now, when she begins to date boys her own age.
If I expect her to be as strong as an oak tree then, I need to plant the acorns today.
If you’re a dad of a daughter, make a date with your little girl. Take her out for breakfast or to a yard sale or to the hardware store.
It doesn’t cost much, but the payoff in the future will be huge.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Contributors
My Favorites
- The Colonel's Journal - Gramper's Blog
- Ichigo Tamago - DocRom's Blog
- Okinawa City, Okinawa (沖縄市) - BigBro's Blog
- Christianfanger
- Pro Simians
- My Best Investments
- Petroville
- Amalah
- Girl's Gone Child
- It's Twinsanity
- Mama Mid(wife) Madness
- Meconium Happens
- MetroDad: Another Funny Dad Blog
- Motherhood Uncensored
- The New Girl
- Poop and Boogies: A Funny Dad Blog
- Championable: A Heart Felt Daddy Blog
- How About Two: Daddy Blog
- Miss Britt
- Cara in Exile
- Belle of the Blog
- kickyboots
- Mama Pop
- Jezebel
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(221)
-
▼
June
(40)
- I get by with...
- Triathlete? Me?
- Her Future Is So Bright...
- A Pictorial Weekend Recap
- Gourmand - My French Nickname
- Like Mother, Like Daughter
- Evie Got Me!
- "Baby Blog" the new Mommy Blog?
- What's Up?
- A Daddy Blogger's Solution to 16yr Old Boys with B...
- Power Outage
- Happy Father's Day!
- My Wild Friday Night
- Am I a Southerner??
- 7 Things That Rock!
- One Month
- Another Video of Evie Walking by Herself
- Evie Walks Alone!!!
- No Strawberry Picking
- Busy Day
- Art and David
- 9 North
- RIP Grandpa Miller
- Ain't Life Funny Sometimes
- On the Defense
- Major Lessons: My Rant About Parent Wars
- Floaty Contraption
- The Zoo
- Art and the Ladies
- Ben
- Keeping Record
- Surfing
- What Not to Wear
- Meme
- Good Times
- Fathers and Daughters
- Classic Dame
- Face Plant
- Private
- You know you need a date with your husband when...
-
▼
June
(40)
1 comment:
pastime, not past time. sorry about that.
When the SF earthquake hit and the city was completely out, two friends of my ex and mine stayed the evening with us (they lived in an area more affected than ours) and we ate chocolate ice cream bonbons ('cuz power is out, and they will melt) and played crazy eights by candlelight.
Post a Comment