Alright Dear Readers here we go! I am so excited!! Thank you Cara for bringing your problem forward for advice, I will do my best.
"Hi Jen (ok, so I knew that), I have a problem. I have been a member of a mothers group for almost two years, and I enjoy attending and making friends, but I have an issue. The parent organization is a christian group, which I was aware of, and was not concerned, and the group is sponsored by a local church. Childcare is voluntary and mostly through the church members. After the last meeting I went to pick up my child, and she had a Crown with a christian message printed large on it. I am not a christian, and I don't really want them indoctrinating my child in a religion I don't share. Should I simply stop attending, without saying why, or should I quietly speak to one of the steering committee on my reasons for leaving, and ask if the religious subjects be toned down in childcare? WWJenD?"
First off I am just like you. I am not religious and I have a hard time navigating among the "saved" as well. As far as your question of stopping cold turkey or speaking to the steering committee I would talk to the committee. In the last 9 months I have really come to realize the importance of having mommy friends. Real friends and mommy friends are sometimes one and the same but most of the time (at least for me) they are separate. I have found that even if I have different religious beliefs, or political beliefs, I need friends that understand what it is like to go through this crazy shit that we call motherhood. And despite our many differences I really enjoy and find satisfaction in commiserating with my mommy friends. I have even had the lucky experience of having one of my mommy friends become my real friend. And she and I couldn't be more opposite on politics and religion.
So my advice to you is to try to make the whole thing work because in the end you are the only one that can indoctrinate your child, one paper crown ain't gonna do it. Ask BK if you have any doubts. =)
Keep the questions coming ya'll, I'll post responses every Tuesday from now on.
Wednesday, May 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Contributors
My Favorites
- The Colonel's Journal - Gramper's Blog
- Ichigo Tamago - DocRom's Blog
- Okinawa City, Okinawa (沖縄市) - BigBro's Blog
- Christianfanger
- Pro Simians
- My Best Investments
- Petroville
- Amalah
- Girl's Gone Child
- It's Twinsanity
- Mama Mid(wife) Madness
- Meconium Happens
- MetroDad: Another Funny Dad Blog
- Motherhood Uncensored
- The New Girl
- Poop and Boogies: A Funny Dad Blog
- Championable: A Heart Felt Daddy Blog
- How About Two: Daddy Blog
- Miss Britt
- Cara in Exile
- Belle of the Blog
- kickyboots
- Mama Pop
- Jezebel
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(221)
-
▼
May
(30)
- Bugs!!!
- Memorial Day
- The Players
- Changing it Up
- Finally!!
- Pool Fun
- Hello World
- Family Pics
- The Wedding
- Bring it On
- Celeb Look Alikes: I'm Bootylicious Ya'll
- 7
- DocRom Graduation
- Recap
- Happy Mother's Day
- Bonnie and Evie
- Swimming
- R.A. Child Development & Human Resources
- RIP
- Alright
- The Weekly 7
- Seriously
- WWJD May 8, 2007
- Hodge Podge
- Lavender Loves Her
- Shout Out!
- Call Me the BlogBurgler
- 7 Things
- Response to WWJD
- WWJD
-
▼
May
(30)
2 comments:
Good advice, Jen. I just have to add that I *think* I know what org. Cara's talking about, one I've been on leadership w/ for several years. And I just wanted to add that the childcare provided is meant to be "more than babysitting", but a chance to talk to the kids about God, love, Jesus, etc. So I'm truly sorry she wasn't aware of that at when she joined (if this is the same org I'm thinking of!). But "toning it down" really isn't an option, since this is part of the purpose and ministry of the org. So I hope she keeps going for the fun and friends, but I can understand the hesitation because of childcare. (((hugs!))) And I hope it all works out for you! Talking to the leadership about the issue would definitely be a good thing too! We always want feedback!!
Emily
I think there is a big difference between religious people pushing their doctrines and religious people just teaching how to be a good person. You could always use it as a teaching tool for your child. "This is what I believe, this is what they believe, what do you think?" That way they are aware of different beliefs but are taught to make their own decisions and think for themselves.
Post a Comment