Saturday, May 12, 2007

R.A. Child Development & Human Resources

I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations.

I stole this idea from another Mom. I really like that job title. In a society that only values you for what you make outside of the home, I think this job title lends some credibility to the many Moms that stay home and take care of their children. I am a working stay at home Mom. I make money as a postpartum doula and as an art teacher at the local art museum. But when I define myself to others I typically say I am a stay at home Mom. Because that is my full time job. I do that other stuff part time.

I never thought I would have kids before I was 30 and I definitely never thought I would want to be a stay at home Mom. But here I am, 25 yrs old and staying at home with my daughter. And I love it. But I also love getting out of the house away from my daughter and feeling productive outside of my title as Mom.

As much as I want to say I am a SAHM* that feels completely fulfilled by motherhood it's just not true. I like working. Not necessarily in an office from 9-5 but, I enjoy the adult interaction and the definition of myself as more than a Mom. Not that being a Mom isn't a hefty job all on its own. But I am more than a Mom. I am me first. I am Mr. E's wife and Evelyn's Mom second. As any tried and true therapy alumni will tell you, you have to take care of yourself first, before you can effectively take care of anyone else.

So I am a SAHM, but I am me too. My identity is enhanced by being Evelyn's Mom, not dependant upon being her Mom. I am a person first. I am thwarting societies pressure for me to fit into the role of "Sublime Mother". And, I am setting an example for my daughter that she can be whoever she wants and still be herself too.

*SAHM: Stay at Home Mom

**This post was my best shot at talking about myself as a Mom. How did I do?

Welcome to the Parent Bloggers Network Blog Blast. You’ve still got time to write a fabulous post, send us the link (parentbloggers@gmail.com), and enter to win a $100 Spafinder gift card courtesy of Light Iris (who’s having one heck of a Mother’s Day contest).

1 comment:

Rich | Championable said...

Dude. I love being a Dad, but I can't imaging being a SAHD. I don't know how Maggie doesn't go bonkers. Like, clinically bonkers.

Contributors