Wednesday, August 08, 2007

So Much News

Sorry I have been gone for a week. Time has flown by so fast. This week I am taking care of the entire farm while Grammy and Gramper are on vacation. I had no idea how much it took to maintain the farm. There is sooo much to do twice a day, everyday. I have all new sympathy and respect for Grammy, she has a hard job.

Also I got the ABA tutor job that I mentioned in my previous post. I started training on Monday and I am working everyday this week. It is challenging work, and there is a lot to learn, but I like it. School starts for this little boy on Aug 20 and my main job will be to go to school with him and help him keep up with the other kids. The little boy's name is Aidan, he is really cute. His mannerisms and little quirks are quite adorable and he is a good kid. He has been testing me everyday and that has been challenging, I am supposed to get through 3 hours worth of material with him everyday and I have yet to make it through because of all the disciplining I am doing with him. But unlike most autistic kids Aidan is not violent at all. He is actually really cuddly and sweet. He loves to be hugged and squeezed. But he tries to use the cuddling as a way out of doing his work, so I have to keep him on task and in his chair like a big boy. He also has tried the crying/tantrum thing to get out of work, and that isn't so hard to handle. I am learning all the tricks and methods I need to get him back on task when he acts out or stops paying attention. On top of all that I also have to keep really thorough records of everything we do and I have to write down every word he says as well as all the activities we do together. It is a lot to keep straight but I am getting there. I am going to be with him by myself for the first time tomorrow. I am really super nervous. I want to do a good job and get everything done correctly but I just don't know if that is going to happen tomorrow. The head therapist that is training me is really nice and actually was our next door neighbor in our townhouse. What a small world! She thinks I am doing well and handling Aidan's behavior and testing really well. Hopefully this will all be like second nature by next week.

In other news Ben's sister Vanessa came to visit us this past weekend. It was really wonderful to see her, we hadn't seen her since x-mas. Evie loved her Auntie V and they had a lot of fun together. We are planning to go visit Vanessa in the next few months while the beach is still warm enough to enjoy.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I haven't finished Harry Potter yet but I am very close to the end, only 200 pages or so left. I just finished the chapter about Gringots, for those of you who have already read it.

Ben and I have started seriously talking about what we want when we build our house. Vanessa is in the business and she is going to be a big part of our building process. It is very exciting and I literally can't wait to get started! Hopefully we'll be building by early spring.

Triathlon training is going well. This week is supposed to be our rest week but I went running today anyway because I missed a run and bike ride last week. I took Bonnie with me for the first time. She did really well. By the end of the run she was starting to understand that she needed to stay close to me, or she was tired and didn't want to run ahead of me. Either way I am glad I took her and I am going to try to make her run with me on days that I run.

I think that is all my news. So how is everyone else? What have I missed?

2 comments:

Cara said...

You are a busy bee this week! It must be a shock to have such a shift in responsibilities in such a short time.

BTW, we went to an Ed Dept party, and there are three pregnancies (either workers or spouses) not including Johanna with her baby, and myself (as spouse to an ex-Ed). Michael tells people not to drink the water at the ISM.

Dawn said...

Congratulations on the new job!

I can't wait to hear what you think about Harry Potter when you're done. I spent most of last week reading books 6 and 7. Scott read them both in a weekend. I ended up reading all day last Saturday while Scott took care of both boys. It was his gift to me and what a luxury to read all day. I loved it and I finished the book. Yay!

But, like you, I didn't blog or read any other blogs. Now I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do.

Glad things are going so well down there.

Take care!

Contributors